We just got back from a week of camping at Tablerock Lake with my mom's side of the family. It is something we've done many, many summers over the years. I remember the summer camping trip being a highlight of my childhood years. I'm hoping to continue that tradition for my own children.
It was a great week with amazing weather. We had warm days and cool evenings, and only one rainy day, which we took advantage of and did a little outlet mall shopping.

Corwin and Jason tried a little tubing. It was a lot of fun, and Corwin loved it, but he didn't like getting water splashed in his face.

The boy is ready for just about any adventure.

And, of course, what is camping without a little corn shucking??? Dad harvested some of his garden corn to share with everyone and the kids enjoyed the job of undressing it. I won't tell you what Lindsey found in her corn cob as she was eating it during dinner (but it rhymes with dorm, was long and slimy). I passed on the corn that evening.
My grandparents, fortunately, were able to join us as well. How many 80-something-year-olds do you know are still able to camp and go? They've camped with their children, their grandchildren, and now their great-grandchildren. How awesome is that?

And, here's Owen being a super-duper good camp baby. He is the best baby! He adjusts to any environment he's put into. The only thing was he kept waking us up at 6:30 in the morning. Ugh. The sun rises too early in the summer, in a tent.

Corwin had a blast with his cousins, Silas, Ethan, Emerie, and Eliza. Here is Silas and Corwin calling each other horrendous names like, "Marshmallow," and "peanut butter" and laughing hysterically. Someone should really get a hold of those boys' mouths and wash them out with soap.

Ethan and Emerie are, thankfully, entertaining Owen in his ExerSaucer.

Corwin, Ethan, and Eliza are searching for shells among the rocks. I think Grandpa escaped down there to do some fishing.... He didn't get far.

Ethan and Corwin spent one afternoon chasing bad guys to California in the blow-up boat. Corwin was the motor (complete with sound effects), and sometimes the motor would break down. They'd have to row to shore and fix the boat, then get back to bad-guy chasing. It was fun to see those boys use their imagination (of which they are well endowed).
So much work to be done! Silas and Corwin had to make a runway for the airplanes, too. Who knew camping was so much hard work?

Eliza, again, entertaining "Baby Owen".
I was actually dreading a whole week of camping, but I enjoyed every minute of it. It was hard (with a baby), but I had a lot of help, and the boys had a blast. Jason got to fish a couple times a day, I got some time relaxing on my raft and playing with my kids in the water. We had enjoyable camp fire conversation and restful nights .
As I sit here feeling overwhelming at the "mountain" of laundry and recovery to be done, I realize how blessed I am to have survived and enjoyed. Like I said, we've done this for many, many years (not every summer, but nearly), and many families don't enjoy a 4-generation vacation. And, realistically, this might be our last. Thank You, God, for this privilege.
No comments:
Post a Comment