Background

Monday, August 10, 2009

My First NYI Experience

This past weekend Jason and I sponsored the teenagers on our first, official Nazarene function. We took six kids to St. Louis for a youth convention and had a blast!

Friday evening began with a service. The speaker was excellent and really challenged everyone in the audience to take this whole Christianity thing seriously and get busy reaching people for Christ. It really made me think about what more we could be doing.

After the evening service, they took all the kids to a huge "RecPlex", complete with two ice skating rinks, volleyball courts, basketball courts, arcade, etc. Everyone tried ice skating, though it wasn't pretty. Here's Jason showing his poise and grace:

Being the photographer, I was not able to catch myself in action, so you can just picture me gliding with ease around the rink. (Ha!) It's been 10 years, or more, since I've ice skated, and my balance and agility is much impaired. I never fell, though. Jason did, but he says it was only to avoid running into a small child. No one really knows.

The next day, after another service and some business, we headed home and had lunch at Incredible Pizza (kinda like a Super Chuck E Cheese). We enjoyed lunch and lots of games and a go-cart ride or two.

I am thankful for being given the opportunity to spend the weekend with six awesome kids, worshipping with 400 students and sponsors, and being challenged by God to "think outside the box" when it comes to ministry. And, I can't wait to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment