Background

Monday, November 1, 2010

Trick or Treat! Smell My Feet!

Well, we got plenty of "good to eat!" Too much, in fact. Sunday evening was Trick-or-Treating for my boys. We got started early because our church had "Hallowed Heroes", a walk-through Hall of Fame. Anyway, Owen went as a dinosaur or dragon. I don't know which. I just know I got the costume for $4 at Goodwill. And, Corwin saved his birthday money to buy his Darth Vader costume.


Let me tell you the story behind his costume. Corwin has a football uniform (complete with helmet) and a Superman costume that he could have worn for Halloween. And, he was okay with that until... he saw a Target ad in Parenting magazine. He saw a Darth Vader costume for $20 that he "needed" desperately. Unfortunately, his parents weren't going to buy him another costume when he had two perfectly good ones in the toy box. Well, thanks to Mimmy and Pappy, the boy received $20 of birthday money. He knew immediately what he wanted to do with it. And, how can I argue? So, we went to Target a couple days later and bought him his Darth Vader costume. He has played in that thing more than I imagined he would!

There's no story for Owen's costume. Just a good find at Goodwill. Well, actually, I'd bought it for Corwin two years ago, thinking he'd fit into it. When I got it home, it was WAY too small for him, so I decided to put it in the closet for Owen's future. This is the year of the dinosaur. And, it was nearly too small for him! But, ain't he cute!!!

The second half of the evening was spent at church's "Hallowed Heroes" event. I was in charge of the "David and Goliath" scene. Kids would file through our church annex and hear a very short version of a Bible story and receive a memorable trinket. For example, they'd hear a short story of David and Goliath and received a beautiful, smooth stone to remind them of God's faithfulness. Next was Ruth and Boaz, John the Baptist, and Queen Esther. I thought it was a huge success! Thanks to Goliath (a.k.a. Matt) for being a willing participant. Corwin enjoyed being David for about 30 minutes. Good thing we had four other Davids waiting for their shift.


We had a lot of fun Halloween evening. It was fun to also serve our community as well. But, now we're dealing with that mound of Halloween candy in the pantry. I wish it'd quit calling my name....

No comments:

Post a Comment