Tuesday, November 29, 2011. Just the thought of that date brings tears to my eyes. (I suppose it could have something to do with the fact that I am still freshly post partum.) This was the day the Morris Four became the Morris Five.
I went to my regularly scheduled OB appointment at 8:30 that morning, expecting to be sent home with instructions for a cesarean delivery the following week. I even had a long list of errands to run after the appointment--groceries, bank, etc. Jason's brother, Brett, had come up to watch Owen at home that morning, so I was going to take advantage and get some stuff done!
The nurse comes in with all that I'd expected--all my pre-op paperwork, and instructions on next week's surgery, to be done on Wednesday, December 7. Dr. Jones then came in to "check me", and had a very surprised look on his face. He asked if I'd been contracting, and I said I had, but nothing I thought was serious. He said, "Girl, you're already 4 or 5 centimeters! Yeah. 5 centimeters. How about having a baby today!" Uh.... two weeks and a day early, but ... YEAH! Okay! So, he gave me instructions to head directly over to the hospital and get settled in.
So, shaking, I text Jason that TODAY IS THE DAY, and told him I'd call as soon as I got out of the room. The nurse hands me paperwork, wishes me good luck, and sends me out the door! I was so excited, I forgot to leave my charge sheet at the window, and the receptionist had to holler at me to stop so she could get it! I remember her saying, "Dr. Jones will be helping with another miracle today!"
I call Jason, drive to the hospital, call Grandmas, and wait for Jason in the parking lot so we can go in together. As I wait 10 minutes, or so for Jason, I make a massive text that we were having a baby that day. We walk in, and get directed to labor and delivery, and the nurses busily prep me for surgery. It is then that we're informed that this will be happening during the lunch hour.
Sure enough, at 12:54, Ella Joy slips into the world. 7 lbs. 10 oz., 19 inches of healthy baby girl. Dr. Jones makes a comment that he thought the choice for a c-section was probably a wise one, "once you see the noggin on this girl." I wanted to say, "And her brothers were much bigger!!!"
This is our first sight of our daughter:
My smallest baby yet!
It was a couple hours before we could see her again, because they wanted to monitor her body temperature for 2 hours. Then, I think they forgot about us because we had to call the nursery for them to bring her to my room. Finally--heavily drugged--I get to hold my baby girl! Even at this point it is hard for me to believe that I am no longer pregnant.
Owen is in awe! He gets really close and says "Hello." He then starts to show her his toy motorcycle that he brought with him.
Corwin is a bit more stand-offish, which I thought was odd. You could tell he was proud and excited, but I think he was trying hard not to look TOO excited. (After all, he is six years old.)
All three of my children. THREE!!!
She sleeps so good during the day, and is fussy for the first half of the night. Poor Jason. He had to take care of Ella and me, so little rest was had. Fortunately we had a private room (as all c-section patients do at our hospital).
Finally, on Thursday, December 1st, we are given the clear to go home. So, we start preparing for the ride home. Mommy is showered and dressed! Now, Ella is sporting her pink and ready to go home!
She sure didn't like Daddy putting her in that car seat, but soon went sound to sleep.
As we pulled in, big brother Owen met us at the door, told Ella hello, and welcomed her to her new house!
He showed her her bedroom...
And her new bed ...
Then, of course, he had to hold "him". He kept saying, "Aww..."
She likes her new crib, and sleeps well in it!
Then, bigger brother Corwin came home from school.
Owen likes to help feed Ella and hold her. He calls her a "him" all the time. Makes comments about how he likes "his" fingers and "his" nose. I finally asked Owen if Ella was a boy or a girl, and he said, "Um... a boy." I told him no that she was a girl. He said, "Oh. He's a girl!"
We have found Corwin's reaction ... strange. He doesn't want to hold her a whole lot, or help feed her (because he's afraid she'll spit up, and that makes him gag), but he sits near her a lot and wonders when we'll get her up. Today we've let him get her out of the crib (with Daddy close, of course) and carry her to me or to the couch to hold for a few seconds. He watches her closely and has a ton of questions. I think he is a little scared of hurting her because she's so tiny. I don't know, but he is definitely interested, but tries to play it cool.
Anyway, we are now the Morris Five. I love having a girl! I love seeing the boys dote over her, and I love to see Jason's gentleness with her. She is so soft and warm! She has been doing great at night. She has a fussy period from about 9 o'clock to 10 or 11, but after that 10 or 11 o'clock feeding she goes right to sleep. Then it's usually every 3 1/2 hours until 7 or 8 in the morning. Then we have her on a strict 3-hour feeding schedule. She hardly ever cries (except that nightly fussy period), and eats about 2 1/2 oz. of formula at each feeding. So far, she has been such a good baby!
And, for my friends out there who will be asking: I am doing well. I'm not sure which method of delivery I prefer. I definitely love the c-section for it's ease and speed, but not necessarily the recovery. Of course, I can't say that this recovery is any WORSE than my first natural delivery. It's about the same. But, every day is getting better. I am ready to be able to move with more ease and not have to take pain meds any longer. But, so far, we're doing great! I've had lots of help from my mother-in-law, and my mom is coming tomorrow to stay for a week. With their help I am able to rest and heal, and take care of my baby. They, thankfully, have taken care of the house and my boys. I know Jason is incredibly thankful for them, too. Otherwise, his evenings would be awfully hectic after work.
God is good. That's all I can say! He has blessed us beyond measure!
Amy, the picture with Owen holding the baby with this look of awe is just SO precious. Congratulations and I'm very happy for you and your family.
ReplyDeleteYou have a beautiful family, Amy! Ella Joy
ReplyDeletewill just make it that more sweeter. Enjoy these
precious moments. Takes me back.....