Four years ago today I had an ultrasound showing a B-I-G baby inside (estimated between 9 1/2 and 10 lbs.), and Dr. Watson said it was time to have this baby. We were given instructions to come back the next evening and get admitted into the hospital. So, on this night--four years ago-- I was lying in "bed" (which, at the time, was a fold-out couch in my parents' fifth-wheel trailer), feeling quite anxious about the task that lie ahead. I'd always been terrified of child birth, and finally the time had come to face that fear. I remember feeling Corwin kick my belly and thinking that in (hopefully) 24 hours I'd finally see my baby's face.
We showed up at the OB nurse's desk at 7 p.m. and began the induction process. Into the hospital gown, monitors hooked up all over my huge belly, and medication administered to begin labor. It was a fitful night's sleep.
At 6:30 a.m., September 8, 2005, my water broke. And, finally, around 3:30, the pushing began. After a couple hours of pushing, little Corwin burst into the world at 5:13 p.m. I remember crying when I first saw my baby. He was so perfect! Dark hair, and so pretty (even if he did have a lumpy head). 8 lbs. 13 oz., 21 inches long, Corwin James Morris was here!
My mom kept telling me how pretty he was, and Dad was fascinated with his big feet. When everyone left, Jason and I were left alone with this...human being. I was so happy, and so terrified. I couldn't get over the fact that this precious baby was now my responsibility.
Corwin is full of life! He's loved to be read to since he was 2 months old, and has asked questions about everything imaginable since he was able to say "Why?". He loves tomatoes, baseball, Puppy, and going to church. He doesn't like wasps, burnt edges on food, or coloring with crayons. He is witty and has a vocabulary beyond his years. Corwin thinks he is 16 and is the epitome of all knowledge. He is currently fascinated with anything NASA and space-related, and aspires to be an astronaut, trash man, and/or president. He is loved by everyone, and loves everyone in return. He has a huge heart and strong will. He has been the hardest job I've ever had, and the biggest joy. Someday, I hope he becomes a strong man of God that will be stubborn about his faith and compassionate toward people.
He doesn't' fit on my lap as well as he used to, and can buckle his own seat belt. Yesterday he was screaming in my lap as we were being wheeled out of the hospital. It's amazing how quickly it all goes. Happy Birthday to my Big Boy!
No comments:
Post a Comment