Background

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Next Generation Pilot

Corwin, Owen, and I spent this past Saturday at an air show for the Branson Regional Airport. (We went with Mom and Dad.) It was a beautiful day, and couldn't have asked for better weather.

Corwin was enthralled with all the planes--both on the tarmac and in the air. This is a picture he took with a pilot of the A-10 Thunderbolt II. (You may recognize them because they have teeth painted on the nose of the plane.) The pilot gave him a sticker and a post card with some information and a picture of their plane. He asked them all to sign the postcard, then asked if this guy would take a picture with him. He was happy to oblige. I heard a lady in the crowd giggle and say, "Look there. The next generation Air Force pilot."

When we were headed home I asked him which act was his favorite, and, with no hesitation, he replied, "The one that shot the bombs!" The man in this picture was a pilot on that plane. The A-10 Warthog is a "ground patrol" aircraft. It aids the troops on the ground by shooting and creating diversions on the ground. (I think that's right.) In the air show they shot "bullets" down the runway, then for their final demonstration they blew up the entire runway in a HUGE explosion of fire. It was truly awesome, whether you're an awestruck three-year-old boy, or not.

We came home sunburned and exhausted, but thoroughly enjoyed the day. I think we all slept long and hard that night.

P.S. Jason hosted a varsity baseball tournament ALL DAY Saturday, so that's why he didn't accompany us. We had a TON of rain Friday morning, and was afraid he'd have to call it off. But, true to the claims that he's a little "off his rocker", he worked diligently Friday with shop vacs, fans, and heaters to get the field playable. I think there are people in town that think "that baseball coach is insane." I know I do, but that's why he's good at what he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment