Background

Friday, February 18, 2011

Ha Ha Tonka

We recently enjoyed an amazing day at an amazing Missouri State Park, Ha Ha Tonka. I felt like we'd better take advantage of this unusual, amazing weather and spend a day outdoors. I am so glad we did.

Ha Ha Tonka State Park is the site of an old "castle" built around the turn of the century up in the hills of mid-Missouri. A wealthy businessman from Kansas City bought 5,000 acres that he'd fallen in love with, and began construction of a European style mansion (or castle). Unfortunately, he never lived in the home. Only one year after he started construction, he died. But, his son finished the home about 15 years later. Then, it burned 20 years after. Anyway, the ruins are still there, and it is magnificent. It is perched up on the peak of a hill overlooking a large spring and creek. Now, the tail end of the Lake of the Ozarks runs into this large creek as well.

The view from this building is amazing!!! The boys loved it, and so did Mom and Dad. I'm so glad we went!

This is a picture of the boys sitting at the home site. I wish I could have gotten a picture of the whole structure, but it's just too big!

This is taken from the castle site, too. In the background you can see the water tower. They pumped water from the spring below into the tower, then ran pipes to the castle. The water tower also housed a family in the lower stories.


This is the view down to the spring below from the castle. How would you like to have to look at that gorgeous site every day? I bet this place is unbelievable in the fall.

Corwin and I hiked from the castle, over to the water tower, down the mountain to to the spring. Daddy and Owen went back and got the truck and met us down there. It was a long hike, but Corwin and I loved every minute of it. We even tracked back up the mountain to check out the old post office, then back down to meet Owen and Daddy. Corwin had some interesting questions and comments on the way down.
One was, "Mom, did people have food back in the black-and-white days?" "Yes, Corwin." "Oh. I thought that maybe, you know, when there was no color--well, sometimes there was a little color--that maybe they just lived on water." Ha ha. All the photos of the old castle were in black and white. I guess he thinks everything was void of color back then. :)

Anyway, here we are at the spring (which you cannot see, unfortunately) where we met back up with Daddy and Owen.


Headed back to the truck.

But, Jason and Corwin had to do a little rock climbing before we left. You can't see from this picture, but they are on the peak of a very rocky ledge. Owen wanted up there too, so I went as far up as I could go with him, then Jason hoisted him up to the top.

Then, we finally went home. We spent a good 2 hours, plus, exploring the place. If you are ever in the Lake of the Ozarks area, you must go see this place. It's very unique. We are thankful God blessed us with such an amazing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment