Background

Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Heart-Felt Prayer

Oh, my goodness, people. Corwin did something this morning in church that I wish I had on video, or audio, for all the world to hear. It was so sweet, and funny, and memorable.

Our pastor is allowing our children to take on some roles in the services this month, and Corwin was given the honor of being an offertory usher. Not once, but twice (we took up a special offering to go toward the efforts being made in Haiti). Very exciting for my 4-year-old boy. He had seen other children do the task for the past couple of weeks, and has begged us for the same opportunity. Finally, his day arrived. You could see the excitement plastered all over his little face. He could not wait for his debut.

Well, not only was he given the privilege of taking up the offering, but Pastor Greg also asked him to pray over the offering. My heart stopped. "Oh, no. What is he going to say??? Please, Lord. Don't let him embarrass me."

God heard my prayer. Instead, my little boy blessed me.

I'm going to try to relay the prayer, though I know I will fall short. I wish I could remember it all, and I wish you could hear his expression through this type.

"Dear God... we just thank you for today... and... we thank you for our church... and... we thank you for... Jesus... we thank you for Jesus dying on the cross... for our sins... and we thank you that Jesus died... but not for very long... for our sins... so we can be... forgiven. (Oh, how I wish you could hear him, and how sincere he sounded).

"We thank you... because... You are our King... forever. We thank you for this money... and please use it good. And... thank you for everyfang! And help us to be good... and do good things... and not bad things. Thank you. Thank you, Jesus. Amen!"

I almost forgot to start playing the offertory! Then, when I came to my senses, I had to look through tears to see the music.

I had so many come up to me and say, "Boy! That Corwin can pray, can't he!!??" Our organ player usually leaves her post during the offertory prayer to sit in the audience. She told me that when Corwin opened his mouth, she couldn't move. She watched him through the entire prayer thinking, "Wow. Praise God!"

And, then, shame on me for doubting his sincerity. I started to think, "He's just imitating what he's seen Pastor Greg do, or his Sunday School teacher, or us, etc." Then, I felt convicted of that thinking. If the rocks can cry out praises to God, why can't my 4 year old?

I thank God for Corwin, and his heart. He can be difficult and too full of energy, but he has a sincere heart. He may not have understood everything he said this morning in his prayer, but He knew it was the truth. God is our King forever!!! Jesus died, but not for very long, for our sins!!!

"But Jesus called them to Him and said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God." Luke 18:16 NKJV

2 comments:

  1. Wow, he is a very special boy! Have tears in my eyes and I'm at work. Thanks for sharing this special time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, what an awesome story. You have one... I mean two sweet boys; obviously you are doing something right! I remember those lump in your throat moments. Oh how I miss them. They grow so fast.

    ReplyDelete