Background

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Elephants and Shut-Ins

We went on another Morris Summer Excursion today. We had some friends drop by last night who had just been to the Elephant Rocks State Park. That gave me an idea. Jason and I had both been, years ago, but our kids had not. So, this morning, we ate breakfast, packed a picnic lunch, and headed east to one of the most unique Missouri state parks I've ever been to.

The boys, naturally, LOVED climbing and exploring the faces of these massive, smooth pink granite boulders. Corwin was unstoppable, and Owen wanted to be unstoppable, but his little legs wouldn't allow it. So, he hanged onto Mommy and Daddy, and just trusted us to catch him, or see him over the crevices.
These pictures just don't do these "elephant-sized" rocks justice. I've never seen rock so smooth and round, and so HUGE! They are gorgeous. Truly the handiwork of a Master Creator.



Owen kept sitting down on the little rocks and saying, "take picture, peas, Mommy. CHEEZE!" I told him no more after the 4th or 5th rock.


Again, I wish you could understand the steep grade and massive size of these mountains. Absolutely amazing.



Final pose is with Daddy on a climbable rock (with assistance). On top of the boulders you could see for miles. (Don't worry. This 4-month pregnant Mommy stayed securely down below.)


After the elephant rocks, we travelled thirteen miles to Johnson Shut-In State Park. I didn't take my camera down here because I knew the terrain was treacherous, and the camera probably wouldn't survive. So, I've hijacked some off of someone else's Flickr account. Again, these pictures do not do the place justice. This place is GORGEOUS!!!


Here the kids can enjoy natural "water slides" and waterfalls. The Black River here is so clean and fresh, it looks like a commercial for filtered bottled water. The boys absolutely LOVED this place! Unfortunately, we weren't prepared and clothed appropriately, but we let the boys indulge anyway. They loved the place so much, they cried when we had to leave.


They cried so much that we've promised to go back some day when we're more prepared to spend the entire day. Even I'm looking forward to that! :)


It was an amazing day. We're all exhausted, but have memories that we'll never forget. Mine will be the sound of my boys' laughter as they floated down the river, and Owen and Corwin's "oohs" and "ahs" over the "big, big wocks". Thankful for, yet, another memorable day.

No comments:

Post a Comment